Guests constantly ask me for this recipe. It’s easy, fast, and by far the best macaroni salad you’ll ever taste. Hope you love it!
If you don’t have a hand held chopper, definitely get one! Zappos has a great Oxo chopper here for $20 with free shipping.
- 16 ounces uncooked Barilla elbow macaroni
- 1 bag of shredded carrots
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (buy the expensive stuff)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook macaroni al dente in salted water. Drain, don’t rinse the pasta. Let cool.
In a large bowl, stir together the carrots, red onion, green pepper, red pepper and celery. Mix in the mayonnaise, condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Your mixture will seem really soupy, it’s ok. Trust me. Add the macaroni, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. If possible stir once during the 8 hour refrigeration to help the macaroni absorb the liquid.